Charles E. Gerard, 1949 -2005
Local historian, photographer, writer, and political activist, Charles E. Gerard was the only son of Ed and Mary (Timmons) Gerard. He was a graduate of Delphi Community High School in 1967 and of Indiana University where he majored in History and Economics. Somewhat of a renaissance man, Charles was fluent in both Russian and German and read widely on a multitude of subjects. He was also interested in art and music and was a gifted photographer. He was a dispatcher with the Delphi Police Department for several years and worked in the Circulation Department at the Purdue University Libraries for more than 25 years.
A student of local history, Charles was active in the Wabash & Erie Canal Association, the Carroll County Historical Society, and the Delphi Preservation Society. On many an afternoon, he would lead groups on historic walking tours in Delphi. He authored the publication Mystique of Deer Creek, and was co-author of The Carroll County Sesquicentennial Publication along with Michael G. Griffey.
An avid collector, Charles Gerard amassed a large collection of documents, prints, photographs and books which he donated to the Delphi Preservation Society before he succumbed in September 2005 to ALS. The Gerard collection will be housed in The Charles E. Gerard Research Archives on the second floor of the restored Delphi Opera House when it reopens in 2015.
In 2008, the Charles Gerard Historic Archival Award was established as one of the Recognition Award categories by the Delphi Preservation Society board of directors. The Charles Gerard Award is given to recognize the efforts of an individual, group, or organzation in preserving historic archives and making them available for public use.