2017

2017 Recog Award 121 N Indiana St

The Jacob A. Bridge residence at 121 N. Indiana Street was selected for the Historic Residence, Pre-1920 Recognition Award. This home has kept the stunning gothic revival fascia, ornate glass transom, and charm throughout the years. It's original owner was Jacob C. Bridge who operated many retail establishments and grain trade in the 1860s and 1870s. Its current residents are  Benjamin and Abigail Diener who are beautifully maintaining its grandeur.

2017 Recog Award 211 E Monroe St

 

The Historic Residence, Post-1920 Recognition Award was presented to Margie Dunk for the mid-century modern ranch-style home at 217 E. Monroe Street. Built in 1965, the home is immaculately maintained -- even sporting its original color scheme.

 

2017 117 S Indiana St Deiwert 2 

Sam and Debbie Deiwert received the Recognition Award for Historic Commercial or Public Building for the Deiwert Insurance Agency building at 117 S. Indiana Street. The Deiwerts did extensive remodeling to the building, selected an appropriate color scheme, provided tasteful signage and landscaping to enhance the neighborhood and complement the near downtown.completed to complement near downtown area.

 2017 Recognition Award Murphy Fountain

The City of Delphi received the Historic Site or Structure award for the extensive remodeling of the Murphy Fountain and its reinstallation at the southwest corner of the Courthouse Square. Referred to as the Water Maiden, the sculpture was installed in 1918 and funded by a bequest from Mr. and Mrs. M. M. Murphy; Mr. Murphy had a drugstore across Main Street for 35 years and was concerned that there was no sanitary public source of drinking water.

The sculpture was repaired and altered in the 1940s and 1960s, but now it is back to its original form after recent extensive refurbishment as part of the Delphi Stellar project.

 

2016

2016 Bob Dorothy Mills LeadershipBob and Dorothy Mills were recipients of the Atkinson, Sanders, Rodriguez Leadership award. Bob and Dorothy worked with the Carroll County Community Foundation to plan and make a gift that accomplished multiple purposes:

•  They created an endowment that will support Delphi Preservation Society and its projects forever;
•  Through a Lilly Foundation match, Bob and Dorothy increased the size of their DPS endowment;
•  Also through the Lilly Foundation match, they helped the Carroll County Community Foundation enlarge its unrestricted fund.

We think that this is a wonderful example of creative financing in support of two community organizations and we salute Bob and Dorothy for what they have done! It came as a most welcome surprise to the Delphi Preservation Society Board of Directors to learn of their generous and heartfelt gift that will keep giving year after year. Thank you, Bob and Dorothy!

2016 Recog Awd 107 E Main StThe IOOF Carroll Lodge No 174 was selected in the category of Historic Commercial or Public Building. Located at 107 E. Main Street, the building is home to the Bradshaw Insurance Company and owned by Delphi Properties, LLC. While many historic downtown buildings underwent a transformation during the Delphi Stellar Facade Restoration Project, Bill Bradshaw and his daughter Stacy Bradshaw, went beyond the immediate scope of the project to ensure that the project was done right. They made additional repairs and improvements to rthe original stone work, restored the detail on capitals and cornices, and sent stained glass doors to be properly restored and restained.

2015

2015 Recog Awd Leadership Traeger

Dick Traeger received the Atkinson, Sanders, Rodriguez Leadership Award for leading by example and "just digging in!"  This year, Dick has gotten our Society out of cold water and hot water!  He has led efforts at the Crosby Hotel basement to make structural reinforcements that enabled that building to participate in the Stellar Facade Restoration project.  When a broken boiler led to bursting water pipes in sub-zero weather, Dick was there making sure repairs were made and cleanup took place.  Then, as the boiler came back on line, dozens of leaks in the frozen water pipes led to more flooding.  Dick made sure the repairs got made, worked with the insurance adjuster, and oversaw the clean up and repair. 

Dick does not toot his horn for the projects he handles for DPS... he is just there getting them done.

2015 Recog Awd Leadership ArmstrongIn 2011 while Toby Armstrong was working in the Opera House Gallery, she began scanning property transfer records that the Delphi Preservation Society acquired from the Carroll County Abstract and Title, LLC.  These records are an invaluable resource in tracking ownership of a lot or parcel from 1830 through 1968.  Toby has scanned nearly 90,000 of these records in addition to over 10,000 pages of local histories (county, township, school, church, etc.), phone books, cookbooks, postcards, and other items.  Her willingness to do this repetitive work while fulfilling her other tasks has been outstanding.  All her work will be available for researchers in the Charles Gerard Archives in the Delphi Opera House, and some, with luck, will be among Delphi Preservation Society's contributions to a local history website to help celebrate the Indiana Bicentennial in 2016.

 

2015 Recog Awd Pre 1920 Bowen House

The Bowen-Crouch House received the award for Historic Residences Pre-1920. Located at the corner of Wilson and East Main Streets, this Queen Anne "Free Style" house was built in 1896 by Nathaniel Bowen. Owners Jeff Norris and Garth Rathkey purchased the home in 2014 and in the process of making necessary repairs.

The late, Faye Wood, local historian described the home as follows:

"... Red tiled roof slates, tiffany-type windows, turret, and columns make this home an elegant edifice. Within is a ballroom on the third story, Italian frescoes on the ceiling, goatskin leather covering the walls of the dining room, and inlay and parquet floors throughout. The builder was N.W.Bowen, a banker, who was also a fancier of fine horses. The nearby coach house is also an architectural gem."

2015 Recog Awd Historic Structure City Park Shelter House

The City Park Shelter building received the Historic Structure Award. This structure sits in the Delphi City Park in the former community of Mortonville. The City Park is the site of an Indian Cemetery and later was used as the City of Delphi cemetery.  In 1896 the cemetery was moved east of town to Morning Heights Cemetery on the Old Delphi to Camden Road.  The plan was to use the site as a location for a school.  This never happened, instead it was used as the school gardens which were developed in 1907.  The Delphi High School class of 1919 raised money to build this shelter house... they did not have quite enough money so local business men started a campaign to raise the additional funds.  In 1920, the Democratic Vice Presidential candidate, Franklin D. Roosevelt spoke in the shelter house.  The Shelter House has been the site of cultural events such as plays and lectures.  It is used as a site for family reunions and picnics.  Five years ago the Delphi Parks Board renovated the shelter  replacing the roof and adding modern lighting and electrical outlets. 

 

2015 Recog Awd Smith Emerson

2015 Recog Awd Post 1920 Emerson and Smith HousesCo-Awards were presented for the first time this year for the residences of Virginia Emerson on Riley Road and of Jane Smith on Crest Drive. Both homes represent the classic ranch style home that became popular in the 1950s. Each home is 50 years old this year making them eligible for the award Historic Residences Post-1920.

The Emerson home (top house in the photo) was built in 1965 by the Bowens; Mrs. Emerson and her family purchased and moved into the home in 1977. The Smith home was built in 1965 by Charles and Jane Smith who have been the only owners of the home.

2014

2014 Recog Awd Leadership Chris NeumannChris Neumann received the Atkinson, Sanders, Rodriguez Leadership Award for "leading from the middle" by throwing her energy and talents into beautifying the former Delphi United Methodist Church after the Delphi Preservation Society accepted its donation from the church's Trustees. Refinishing the exterior doors, painting the porch, and planting perennials are among the improvements Chris quietly accomplished. While the nomination was based on recent activity, Chris' leadership has also been felt at the Brooks Center, the Delphi Parks Board, and improvements made throughout the community at the Opera House Gallery, the band stand on the square, the Stone Barn among others.

2014 Recog Awd Archival Digital Newspaper Kelly Currie Bonnie MaxwellReceiving the Charles Gerard Historic Archival Award was the project to digitize Carroll County newspapers from the 1840s. to the present both preserving and making available to the public these important sources of historical information. The newspaper project will digitize more than 300 rolls of microfilm that include nearly 200,000 pages at a cost of $35,000.

Many individuals and groups involved in the Carroll County Newspaper Digitization project were acknowledged, including the libraries, the Historical Society Museum, and the Moss family. Accepting the award on behalf of the project were Kelly Currie, Delphi Public Library director and Bonnie Maxwell, Chair DPS Archives Committee. The award will be kept in the library.

2014 Residence Post 1920 Rec Award Jargstorf2014 Recog Awd Post 1920 817 E Monroe

 

Bill and Sue Jargstorf received the Historic Residence Post-1920 Award for their home at 817 E. Monroe Street. The cottage style residence was built in the 1930s and has been beautifully maintained. Among its notable features are the meticulous gardens which always have something in bloom.

 

2014 Recog Awd Pre 1920 Sims2014 Recog Awd Pre 1920 Sims North Street 1874 AtlasKevin and Kathleen Kologinsky received the Historic Residence Pre-1920 Award for their painstaking work to renovate magnificent Sims House at 226 W. North Street. The Italianate gem was built ca. 1865 for Joseph A. Sims, a prominent Delphi attorney. The Kologinskys have graciously shared their home with countless visitors to local and regional events. This etching of the Sims house is from the 1874 Carroll County Atlas.

2013

2013 Recog Awd Leadership McCainDan McCain of the Wabash & Erie Canal Association received the Atkinson, Sanders, Rodriguez Leadership Award for the dedicated service shown over the past decades in preserving the historic sites at Canal Park. Dan has also spearheaded the saving and relocation of several historic bridges to Canal Park, and most recently, the Freedom Bridge which will reconnect the trail segments severed by the Hoosier Heartland Highway. Dan McCain stands tall--literally and figuratively--among preservationists and promoters of heritage and cultural tourism throughout the region.

2013 Recog Awd Archival FunkhouserRichard Funkhouser was awarded the Charles Gerard Historic Archival Award for his many contributions to protecting and making available important archival resources. In particular, this past year Funkhouser published through the Delphi Preservation Society, the definitive work on William Henry Whistler who died during the ill-fated Lady Franklin Bay Expedition led by Adolphus Greely. A distant cousin of Whistler, Funkhouser collected information and documents related to the expedition focusing on Whistler's role. Among the documents were Whistler's diaries from the expedition and a letter written to his Aunt Lydia. These were transcribed in Funkhouser's publication. A historical marker commemorating Whistler was donated by Funkhouser and installed at the Whistler Cemetery near Rockfield.

2013 Recog Awd Pre 1920 Bank barn Sherry Mears2013 Recog Awd Pre 1920 Sherry Mary MearsThe Historic Site or Structure Award was presented to the Sherry and Lois Mears family for the Schweitzer Bank Barn on the historic farm in the Deer Creek Valley Rural Historic District. The barn was built around 1880, with a rough coarse rubble stone foundation and lower wall, vertical board siding, gable roof and two gabled cupolas containing louvered vents. The hay floor can be approached by an earthen ramp. East-facing hay doors can be opened in the overhang in order to drop hay to the feedlot outside. Sherry Mears and daughter-in-law Mary Mears are pictured.

2013 Recog Awd Hist Church DUMC2013 Recog Awd Hist Church DUMC Randy GermanThe Historic Church Award was presented to the trustees of the Delphi United Methodist Church for their historic former home on North Union Street. Built as the Methodist Episcopal Church in the 1870s with Gothic Revival styling, the building saw many additions through the decades. A handsome parsonage was built in 1896 and a large education wing added in the 1930s. Maintaining heat and air conditioning in the historic church even after it was vacated is just one indication of the stewardship which the trustees have exhibited for this important Delphi landmark. Accepting the award on behalf of the trustees was Randy German. The trustees have announced their intention to gift the historic structure to the Delphi Preservation Society which will place a preservation easement on the property to protect it in perpetuity.

2013 Recog Awd Pre 1920 104WMain Rick PaulThe Italianate structure at 104 W. Main Street received the Historic Commercial or Public Building Award. Built around 1863 by Samuel Barnett, this handsome building is one of two historic properties in this quarter block owned by Rick Paul. The Barnett building is striking for the triple-hung sashes on its upper story now uncovered and painted with an historic palette. Rick Paul's own hands have remodeled the retail bay in this building which now houses a day spa. Rick Paul was ahead of the Stellar Communities curve in his stewardship and restoration of the façades of his historic properties.

2012

2012 Recog Awd Post 1920 501 E MonroeToby and Lynn Yates received the Historic Residence: Pre-1920 award for their home at 501 E. Monroe—a cottage style home built circa 1880. The house was formerly owned by Audria Clements, a Union Bank & Trust employee for many years. Toby and Lynn have been remodeling the home for several years making constant improvements. Presenting the award is DPS President Greg Norman.

2012 Recog Awd Commercial Mitchell's Mexican GrillThe Dunbar Family won the Historic Commercial or Public Building for Mitchell's Mexican Grill at 120 N. Washington Street. Built in 1930 as Davies Service Station, the structure has unique Tudor styling which the Dunbars have maintained while updating its appearance.

 

2012 Recog Awd Leadership Al AuffartAl Auffart was presented the Atkinson, Sanders, Rodriguez Award for his leadership in the preservation of Carroll County treasures including Adams Mill. Al is president of Adams Mill Inc, a not-for-profit organization formed to purchase, restore, and maintain the 1845 grist mill on Wildcat Creek near Cutler.

2011

2011 Recog Awd Leadership Carol WellnitzCarol Wellnitz received the Atkinson, Sanders Rodriguez Award for Leadership for her dedication and strong fiscal management of the organization. Carol assumed the office of Treasurer just as DPS was opening the Opera House Gallery which greatly increased the number of financial transactions and accounts of the organization. Carol not only manages the day-to-day transactions, but provides sound fiscal leadership and judgment to the Society.

 

2011 Recog Awd Archival Mark Smith

Mark Smith was presented the Charles Gerard Historic Archival Award for the work with the newlyformed Education Committee of DPS and its project to tell the story of some of Delphi's most historic residences through photographs and text mounted on plaques in front of the homes. In addition to helping with the research for the project, Mark is getting students interested in digging for information as well.

2010

2010 Recog Awd Post 1920 Smothers2010 Recog Awd Post 1920 E Front StBill and Andrea Smothers accept the DPS Recognition Award for Historic Residence Post-1920 for their Crafsman-style frame bungalow on Front Street with tapered columns on the brick porch,exposed rafter brackets, and open gables.

 

2010 Recog Awd Pre 1920 Brenda Tanner Vaknin2010 Recog Awd 213NorthStreetThe Parks-Vaknin house at 203 E. North Street won the DPS Recognition Award for Historic Residence Pre-1920. The Italianate brick was built in the 1860s. Brenda Vaknin and son Tanner receive the award from Greg Norman.

 

2010 Recog Awd Public DPL Kelly Currie2010 Recog Awd Public DPLThe Delphi Public Library received the DPS Recognition Award for Historic Commercial or Public Building, accepted by Kelly Currie, DPL Librarian. The 1905 red brick classical revival-style structure is a Carnegie Library.

 

2010 Recog Awd Archival Bonnie MaxwellBonnie Maxwell received the Charles Gerard Historic Archival Award for her efforts in preserving and making available important Carroll County resources including reprints of Helm's 1882 History of Carroll County and the 1874 Illustrated Atlas of Carroll County.

 

 

2010 Recog Awd Leadership Tom AtkinsonTom Atkinson (left) presented the Atkinson, Sanders, Rodriguez Leadership Award to DPS President Greg Norman for his ongoing support of preservation activities in Delphi. A long-time member of the Delphi Preservation Society, Greg has been the driving force behind the annual Recognition Awards.

2009

2009 Recog Awd Pre 1920 Baum Shaeffer FarmThe Baum-Shaeffer house owned by Lynn Corson and Janet Ayres received the Recognition Award for Historic Residence Pre-1920. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Italianate brick home was built in 1855 by Carroll County pioneers David and Eliza Baum. It is a fundamental part of Carroll County's history. Lynn and Janet have spent more than two decades restoring the house and barns on the property.

2009 Recog Awd Leadership Anita WerlingAnita Werling, was honored with the Atkinson, Sanders, Rodriguez Award for Leadership in Preservation, named for the founders of the Delphi Preservation Society. Past president of DPS and now Chair of the Opera House Advisory Board, Werling was recognized for having become "the face of DPS...spending countless hours each week devoted to our causes." In particular her dedicated efforts toward the Opera House restoration project and Opera House Gallery were cited.

 

 

2009 Recog Awd Pre 1920 TimesPastTimes Past Restorations LLC received the Recognition Award for an Historic Commercial or Public Building. Now housing Times Past Antiques and Art Gallery, the building is remembered as the Masonic Temple. Originally constructed between 1868 and 1875, it was purchased in 1878 by John Henry Swegman who ran it as the Occidental Hotel for many years. In the early 1890s it was operated as a sanitarium and spa with mineral water piped in from an artesian well and spring in the area. By 1894 the baths were closed and the building became the Iona Hotel. The Masons purchased the building in 1913 and made extensive changes to the Italianate structure. The Award was accepted by present owners Hank Ivey and Kevin Kologinsky who have dressed up the facade of this historic building with an eye-catching color scheme.

2009 Recog Awd Historic Structure Wilson BridgeReceiving the Historic Site or Structure Recognition Award was the Wilson Bridge on CR 300N in the Deer Creek Valley Rural Historic District. Rehabilitation of the bridge was completed in 2008 and is handsomely painted in "merlot." Named for Isaac Wilson, the through truss iron bridge was built in 1898 by the Lafayette Bridge Company. The bridge location is also known as Carrigan's Ford and Royster's Ford. The structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. Loren Hylton, president of the Carroll County Board of Commissioners, was on hand to accept the award.

2009 Recog Awd Archival WECAThe Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal Association became the first recipient of the Charles Gerard Historic Archival Award named in memory of the Delphi historian who died in 2005 from ALS. The Canal Association has taken a proactive, structured approach to developing and maintaining an archive of artifacts, written, photographic, and other materials related to the era of the Wabash & Erie Canal in Carroll County and throughout the canal system. Through the efforts of the Association, interactive and interpretive exhibits in the center and along the trail system bring to life the canal experience to young and old alike. Al Auffart, vice president of the Canal Association board and active in the Archives Committee, accepted the award.

2009 Recog Awd Historic Church St JosephSt. Joseph's Catholic Church received this year's Historic Church Recognition Award. Construction on the gothic church began in 1860 from brick baked at Donovan's brick kiln in Pittsburg. Chapel additions were carefully designed to blend with the historic architecture. The church has been lovingly maintained by the congregation over the years. Accepting the award for St. Joseph's was Betty Allen.

2008

2008 Recog Awd Leadership Lynn CorsonLynn Corson, past president, was honored as the first recipient of the Atkinson, Sanders, Rodriguez Award for Leadership in Preservation, named for the founders of the Delphi Preservation Society. Corson has been a member of the Society almost since its founding and has served on its board of directors holding every office. Corson has been a strong voice for preservation of historic structures and cultural heritage in Delphi and Carroll County. Through his leadership and contacts, the Society has achieved statewide and national recognition. Corson has secured several grants for the Society, including the prestigious Historic Preservation Fund grant for the recent restoration of the façade on the Assion-Ruffing City Hall building.

2008 Recog Awd Pre 1920 203 E MonroeThe Recognition Award for Historic Residence Pre-1920 was presented to Tom and Joy Atkinson for their Queen Anne style home at the corner of Franklin and Union streets built in 1896 by Joseph Ruffing, a Delphi jeweler. The Atkinsons have been good stewards of this historic property adding a slate roof to the structure ten years ago and this past year having the residence painted by Hank Ivey Decorating with stunning results.

2008 Recog Awd Pre 1920 Carroll Manor FrCarroll Manor received the first Recognition Award for an Historic Commercial or Public Building. Erected as a County home for the poor in 1911 the Manor is now an assisted-living facility for seniors citizens with special needs. The county-owned structure recently underwent renovations to add an elevator and community room to the facility. The addition was designed to blend in with the historic architecture of the home. Barbah Wine accepted the award on behalf of Carroll Manor.

2008 Recog Awd Historic Church Delphi Presbyterian ChurchThe inaugural Historic Church Recognition Award was presented to the Delphi Presbyterian Church. Built in 1928 and beautifully maintained, the limestone structure is graced on all sides with stained glass windows. The Church is located on the corner of Main and Indiana streets. Accepting the award were Pastor Bill McLean and Steve Briggs.

2007

2007 Recog Awd Thomsens2007 Recog Awd 121 w front stEric and Carol Thomsen receiving the 2007 Recognition Award from Greg Norman for their italianate structure at 121 W. Front Street, originally built by Rinehart. The Thomsens have been restoring the home as a single family residence after it had been converted into multiple apartments. 

2006

2006 Recog Awd Karyl Dick Traeger2006 Recog Awd The Brick 250Karyl and Dick Traeger received the DPS Recognition Award from Greg Norman for their residence known as "The Brick" at 203 E. Monroe Street. Combining Italianate and Greek Revival elements, this National Register property was built in 1857 and is also known as the Barnett-Seawright house. 

2005

2005 Recog Awd Tom Mary Ives2005 Recog Awd North St IvesTom and Mary Ives were the first recipients of the DPS Recognition Award for their home located at 125 W. North Street. This impressive Italianate brick residence was built in 1870 and is listed in the 1980 Interim Report as the Sims-Cartwright house.

DPS Logo with CC 200

 

118 N. Union Street 
P.O. Box 161
Delphi, IN 46923
765-564-4300