Crosby Hotel Building—a.k.a. Brookbank
Built in 1865 by Robert Brookbank, this four-story Italianate brick structure was a hotel and rooming house through many of its decades. By the early 1880s it was owned by Samuel Greenup. John Lathrope, impressario of the Lathrope & Ruffing Opera House, entered into an arrangement with Greenup to lease the fourth floor of the building for dressing rooms that could be accessed through an opening in the west stage wall and then up a narrow stairway.
The fourth floor is like a time capsule with actor graffiti and a few playbills pasted to its walls. Future plans call for fitting the fourth-floor rooms as they might have looked in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The stage passage will then be reopened so that the fourth floor can be part of backstage tours of the Delphi Opera House.